Thursday, February 15, 2007

I survived.

I began the day in a really positive mood. I'd actually convinced myself that I would celebrate my freedom because I had "chosen" to be single on Valentine's day. I had no obligations to spend time with anyone, I didn't have to worry about buying gifts, and I had no reason to be disappointed about not getting anything. Most of my other single friends planned to spend the day being lonely, but I was gonna be the one who would find a way to be happy in spite of my lack of a partner. I even splurged at the beauty store and spent $100 on a new hair straightener and other girly stuff so I could pamper myself all evening.

It didn't happen, because at some point in the afternoon I hit a brick wall. And I realized that everyone else had someone to give them roses, or take them out to dinner, or some other romantic gesture. So my sister and I planned to see a movie. Not just any movie though, a romantic comedy. As if I wasn't miserable already. We wound up not going (my attempt to avoid long lines and happy couples), so I found myself at Target doing errands. As I stood in line behind a lady buying loads of pink and red stuff, I gazed into my own basket. Shampoo, bodywash, razors, tampons, and hairspray. I didn't have time to run back and grab a tube of cookie dough in order to complete my LonelyGirl Kit, but it was painfully obvious (at least to me and the checker) that I had no date. And as I walked through the parking lot, I saw a couple holding hands and skipping, yes skipping, to the store entrance. If I had a paintball gun I would have pelted them with pink and red paintballs to show them how much I appreciated them. I went home and watched American Idol with my mom and ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Okay, not a whole pint, but I did eat right out of the container for effect.

So all in all, I guess it turned out just the way most people expect it to. I just next year isn't as bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment